A couple of years ago we won a patio set in a sweepstakes sponsored by the local beer company. At first I was thrilled because our old patio set had just about bit the dust and we were ready for a new one. My joy was short lived however when the thin nylon fabric quickly began to deteriorate and rot in the sun. It didn’t even last a year. I was particularly mortified when my daughter in law sat down in one of the chairs and fell right through to the floor after the fabric just gave way beneath her. It was only the nylon that had rotted but the aluminum frames were intact and still looked fairly new so I figured it wouldn’t be too difficult to just replace the fabric with something sturdier. It would have been a shame to throw away the whole set. I found an outdoor weather resistant fabric on Ebay for about $10 dollars a yard and I went ahead and ordered four yards of it. I also ordered a spool of UV resistant thread for just a few dollars. I didn’t want to use regular thread and then have it quickly disintegrate in the tropical sun. I only had to remove a few screws to get the old material off and I used one of the less damaged fabrics as a pattern.
This was the original nylon material that the chairs and umbrella came with. The beer company had stamped their logo on the backrests of the chairs.
The aluminum frames were in good shape and so was the table.
I used the old pieces as patterns to cut out the new ones.
I decided to use another more sturdy fabric on the seats in addition to the weatherproof Ebay fabric. I only used this lining on the seat part, but not on the backrest. It doesn’t show anyway and it isn’t exposed to the sun.
This was easy-peasy, thankfully. I’m not overly handy with a sewing machine. I can sew straight stitches or zig zag and that’s about it. Here’s one of the chairs with the new weather resistant fabric.
The umbrella hadn’t fared any better than the chairs. I took it apart and used one of the wedges as a pattern for the new ones.
Finished it off with a bit of zig zag as I was feeling uncharacteristically ambitious that day. That UV resistant thread was sort of a pain in the neck to sew with and tended to tangle or snap. It’s thicker than normal thread.
I spray painted the circle under the table green. And the watering can too, because it was just lurking in my patio doing nothing.
And it was done.
These Cannas are really invasive. I started out with one bulb in a small pot a few years ago. After it multiplied like a rabbit I threw half of them away and planted a few of them along a wall in my patio. Now they’re threatening to take over the whole house. I figured I might as well use them as cut flowers as they bloom all year long here.
Joining: Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home